Are you planning your upcoming China trip? Are you worried that you will be lost in translation and won’t be able to communicate at all? If so don’t worry I’ve got you covered! In this article, I’ve put together a list of 21 of some of the most commonly used phrases that you might need when travelling abroad.
Note that I may add more to the list incrementally either if I can think of more useful phrases or if I receive suggestions from any of you. Plus don’t forget that we now have pop-up annotation on the site so if you simply hover your mouse over the Chinese characters you will get the pinyin and English definitions of the words.
Okay without further ado here’s my list of 21 of the most commonly used sentences for tourists in China:
1. 洗手间在哪里？xǐshǒujiān zài nǎlǐ?
Where is the toilet?
2. 这个东西多少钱？zhège dōngxi duōshao?
How much does this cost?
3. 怎么去_ _ _ _？zěnme qù _ _ _ _?
How can I go _ _ _ _ <insert the name of the place you want to go>?
4. 请问这里都有什么好吃的？Qǐngwèn zhèlǐ dōu yǒu shé me hào chī de?
Excuse me, just wondering what’s tasty here? (getting advice on what to order)
5. 这里都有什么景点好玩？Zhèlǐ dōu yǒu shé me jǐngdiǎn hǎowán?
Are there any tourist attractions here?
6. 能不能便宜点？Néng bùnéng piányi diǎn?
Can it be cheaper? (when bargaining over price)
7. 请带我去我的酒店。Qǐng dài wǒ qù wǒ de jiǔdiàn.
Please take me to my hotel.
8. 最近的地铁站在哪里？Zuìjìn de dìtiě zhàn zài nǎlǐ?
Where is the nearest subway station?
9. 最近的银行在哪里？Zuìjìn de yínháng zài nǎlǐ?
Where is the nearest bank?
10. 最近的便利商店在哪里？Zuìjìn de biànlì shāngdiàn zài nǎlǐ?
Where is the nearest convenience store?
11. 请带我去_ _ _ _。qǐng dài wǒ qù_ _ _ _.
(When talking to a taxi driver) Please take me to _ _ _ _ <insert the name of the place you want to go>.
12. 我听不懂，你说慢点。Wǒ tīng bù dǒng, nǐ shuō màn diǎn.
I can’t understand, please talk slower.
13. 你会说英语么？Nǐ huì shuō yīngyǔ me?
Can you speak English?
14. 怎么去公车站？Zěnme qù gōngchē zhàn?
How do I get to the bus stop?
15. 我要买门票。Wǒ yāomǎi ménpiào.
I would like to buy tickets.
16. 你能不能和我们介绍下这个地方？Nǐ néng bùnéng hé wǒmen jièshào xià zhège dìfāng?
(When at a tourist attraction and you want more background context) Could you please introduce this place to us?
17. 请问这里有网络么？密码是什么？Qǐngwèn zhè li yǒu wǎngluò me? Mìmǎ shì shénme?
Do you have Wi-Fi here? What is the password?
18. 现在几点了？Xiànzài jǐ diǎnle?
What time is it now?
19. 这个地方几点关门？Zhège dìfāng jǐ diǎn guānmén?
What time does this place close?
20. 谢谢您的帮助。Xièxiè nín de bāngzhù.
Thank you for your help.
21. 希望下次再来。Xīwàng xià cì zàilái.
I wish I could come back again.
I really hope that the expressions and phrases in this article will come in handy for you during your upcoming China trip! Feel free to bookmark this page for easy reference when you find yourself in a communication pinch in China 🙂
Get The Monkey Mandarin Memo ✉
Do you want more Chinese reading exercises, as well as tips and tricks on how to learn Chinese?
Then you might be interested in the Monkey Mandarin Memo, our free weekly email newsletter.
p.s. As a bonus you will also receive a free eBook copy of our 100 Essential Chinese Phrases China Travel Handbook!